Monday 17 August 2015

Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt 2015: Architectural Columns or "how I even found a way to get old books into the hunt!"


Hello hello. 

We seem to actually be having a summer here - which is better late than never - and it means there's still time for me to complete my Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt 2015! 

After I've shared today's item I'll be left with just 4 categories to find:
  1.  a natural body of water
  2. a photo of me with a sign reading Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt 2015
  3. someone walking a dog / other animal and
  4. people playing a board/card game.
While I'm pretty hopeful I'll find most of those, just in case, I've already secured one of the 'alternatives'. But now on to today's find, my architectural columns. 

I was planning to leave this category until I take a trip to London thinking there'd be more than plenty iconic buildings there whose columns I could capture ... but something nearer to home has grabbed my attention first.  And ... when you see what, you'll know why ...

5. Architectural columns
Imagine my delight at coming across these beauties made from old books inside the new-ish Teesside store of furniture retailers Barker and Stonehouse

And people think I buy-up / misuse lots of old books!!!

I have no idea of they were all stuck together or if they're just free standing a la dry stone walling.

And, with my history of clumsiness there was no way I was even tempted to go and remove a single volume 'just to see' ...
And while were on the subject of piles of old books ... here's another [of many] occasions they've made their way into my summer ...

Overheard:
A few weeks back I was in a charity shop [so what's new eh?] and while I was wanting to browse the book shelves in my way stood a young woman and her friend gathering toward them armfuls of old, hardback, books similar to those in these columns.

When the lengths of their arms, from finger tip to armpit were filled I heard them counting up to at least 12, calculating the cost, then taking them to the till.

There the young woman explained to the shop assistant that she planned to use them as centre pieces for her wedding tables and the assistant sounded delighted and effused over the idea wishing the bride-to-be all the best for the big day as she left the shop.

So far, so sweet. [And so very Pinterest-y too!]

And then, as I took my rightful place at the book shelves [Yes, I did buy a book, of course I did. You wouldn't expect anything less.] a second shop assistant emerged from the stock room and the first began to fill her in on this tale of nuptial creativity ... only this time she wasn't quite as enthusiastic and supportive ...

"She said she's going to use them as centre-pieces or something. Like sort of open, around jam jars [see, I told you Pinterest must have been involved somewhere], I don't know really. A bit weird."

Ouch! 

And if she thinks that's weird .. goodness knows what she'd make of those fabulous Barker and Stonehouse columns! 

----------------------------------------

So those are the latest spoils of my hunt but I'll be back before Autumn with the remainder! 

See you soon.

Julie :-)
If you wanted to join in the hunt then you still can, it doesn't end until summer does. Just visit Rinda as it's her brainchild and you can share your discoveries either via your blog, or on Instagram with the hashtag  #‎rindas2015photohunt or even join the Facebook group and make sure to visit Rinda's blog to catch her regular round-ups and link posts.

9 comments:

  1. I went to a friend's house one day and found her daughter cutting out the insides of old books for her table decorations. And very effective they looked too! Love that column, but disappointed you didn't try and pull one book out Jenga style, just to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the column - now if someone would design a bookshelf that looked like that - where you could safely remove books !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been there yet but that is a fab column. What would they think of you selling and us buying your plundered packs! I dread to think :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I'm so jealous of your find! I do t think any architectural column could be as good! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a bit boggled by the book column. Where did they find all those books? Do you think there's a big warehouse somewhere selling books for decorating with and not for reading? It certainly makes a great column, whatever the answer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is in architectural column. Mine pales into insignificance now! Love the wedding story but just what was she going to use the books for (and did it look good?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gathering up armfuls of books without checking the content or subject matter is a rash business, Wedding Planner Woman, a very rash business indeed. A person could end up, for example, using the pages of a hastily purchased WW2 thriller to make a folded paper pear only to discover later that it includes multiple mentions of Nazis, and really - who wants a Nazi pear taking up their shelf. Or, you know, their wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing like a non-crafty Northerner when it comes to putting the world to rights! Corr: I would definitely make the journey to see that column....amazing! (very glad you didn't give in to temptation to tug one!) [Had to laugh about the Nazi pear in Kirsty's comment above!]

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really bring us some amazingly interesting things, Julie - that column is wonderful. I'd have been wandering around it, and wondering about its construction, for ages. I've made a note next time we're up that way to pop in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.