Wednesday 16 July 2014

Zoom In ¦ Zoom Out: A bear of the air


Hello there.

'Zoom In ¦ Zoom Out' [or ZIZO for short] is a photo-sharing meme hosted at Helena's Creative Maven  and I tend to join in whenever I'm staring down a lens [or more like huddling over an LCD screen trying to reduce the glare from the sun to work out what on earth is and isn't in shot] ... and suddenly I spot there's a story to be told simply by zooming out.

Which is what happened at the RAF Waddington Air Show I visited with James earlier this month.

Zooming In ...
Sorry if that made you jump ... he's pretty impressive isn't he? But where is he and why was I photographing him? Well ...

Zooming Out ...
He was put there by the crew of this [and here I consult my in-house aviation buff] Chinook helicopter from the Netherlands. [Hey, before I asked I knew it was at least a helicopter ... I've been dragged around the air show for enough years to have at least learned that they're the ones with the spinny things on top ...]

And the reason I pounced upon this unexpected bear of the air?

Well, it was because he was a perfectly handsome embodiment of one of the items I needed to capture to cross off Rinda's Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt list.

Meet ...  No.12: A mascot

Here he is from another angle:
And if we zoom back out ...
... I think he's pretty convincing from a distance, don't you think? You've got to wonder where they found him!

------------------------------

For more visual tales told in close-up and wide-angle visit Helena's blog where she hosts a link-up for other ZIZO moments.

Julie :-)

6 comments:

  1. Another great shot and story, Julie. It reminded me of a scavenger hunt prompt from a previous year, something out of place. A great mascot find :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great BIG bear ... did he have a body I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great mascot and great ZIZO...that really is a BIG Bear. I love air shows....always lots of great photo-ops(I find that the pilots love to pose!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is one amazing mascot - wouldn't want to meet it on a dark night (unless attached to the helicopter rescuing me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find Julie and I had to laugh at the being dragged around air show bit. I can so relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you really have the knack of spotting unusual things! Beautifully shot, by the way. You are going to have such an interesting collection by the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.