I'm joining in again with 'Simply A Moment' - a blogging meme hosted by Alexa at Trimming the Sails, who reminds us once a month to stop and document a fleeting moment of time.
[To learn more you can read Alexa's tips on how to record your own moments and if you do join in, there's a link box on her November moment for you to add yours.]
I actually forgot I was meant to consciously memorise a moment on the 15th ... until the 16th! And while Alexa always stresses that it's perfectly fine to choose another day ... when I thought back to the previous day to see if I could remember back to anything worth capturing ... one vivid, perfectly formed, moment leapt to mind.
And this is it ...
My Super-hero Sibling
Date: Friday 15th November 2013
Time: 12.30 pm-ish
Location: Mam + Dad's hallway.
The party preparations are fully underway now.
Mam's juggling quiches, pies and finger food in the kitchen; Dad's sprinting around the house with a toolbox tending to last minute tasks and really, all that's left for Jo [the birthday girl] and I to do is the fancy bits:
- pinning up the rows of comic-book style bunting we've been preparing for weeks;
- finding the best spot for the paper pom-pom garlands;
- the small task of turning the hallway of a suburban house into a Tardis / superhero themed photo-booth complete with dressing-up box and props so ...
"Have you got this one on there?"
And every time Jo replies:
"No" ... then shoots me a 'but I have got 16 hours worth of other songs on there and people are bound to like some of them' look.
I move the step ladder into the hall so I can reach up to pin a pom-pom garland to the ceiling of the 'Tardis'. [As if, with all that time on his hands, the Doctor had taken up papercrafting.]
Standing on the top of the three steps I manage to press the pin into the plaster and successfully hang the garland and then ...
... I start to tilt backwards ... and [no Dr.Who pun intended but ...] time begins to bend and to stretch out, giving me time to think a lot of things in just a few seconds.
- Uh-oh ... this feels a bit unsafe ... but I'll be able to right myself in a second ... I always do. It'll be fine.
- I'm flapping my arms like something in a cartoon ...
- This isn't getting any better ... I'm still tipping backwards ...
- OK ... there's nothing I more I can do about this ... this will either really hurt ... or else someone will just have to catch me!
The second thing she said to me after her extraordinary catch was:
"I quite literally 'had your back' there!!"
And didn't she just?
And ... if I was prone to sentimentality I would leave that story right there. On a profound, life-affirming note. All metaphorically perfect. She had my back then ... and always. Except ...
... I think I'd rather end this moment by telling you the first thing she said after she prevented me from falling backwards on to a hard floor as I think it gives a far more accurate portrayal of sibling relationships ...
... because, the first thing she said after grabbing me was:
"Urgh!! I just touched your boob!!"
Now that's what I've come to expect from a sister!
If you'd like to read more 'moments' do drop by Alexa's ... and thank you for reading mine.